feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

South Africa?

Labels:

Q. With the recent xenophobic attacks, the disgustingthings that Robert Mugabe has done to his peple in Zimbabwe (which isn't actually in SA) and all the things that have been hurting South Africa's reputation - the head of police committing acts of crime, the ANC president being in court several times on charges of rape and the health minister stealing! I just want to know what you people think of South Africa? Because so many of my friends dont want to live here anymore and some are even leaving, and I would just love to get the thoughts of others from around the world on what they think about South Africa. Be honest, and please dont critise me about this question, I'm just a kid interested in what other people think of my Country!


Answer
My daughter has lived in Jo-burg for the last three years and has a degree from Wits. Before I visited a few months ago I couldn't put her in context. I knew that the crime rate, AIDS infections, and number of rapes were astronomical, but it didn't have much meaning for me. Now, since I have visited and have seen the "security" with which people try to protect themselves, the beauty of the land, the warmth of the people, I fear for her at the same time I admire her determination to make a career for herself. Her boyfriend told us plainly that one of the reasons he doesn't want to marry her or have a family is that then if anything really bad happens she can freely leave.

When we were there a family was shot and killed at home at 6ish in the evening--broad daylight as it was March--in a suburb a number of miles north from where we were, a place considered "safe." Nothing was taken.

I pray for leadership and the combined pressure from the outside world to bring some sanity and stability to the political situation and economy. I will probably go back and visit this coming summer, but this forum has made me more cautious than I was on the earlier visit. Things are always changing.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Post a Comment