feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

How to take care of infected tragus piercing?

Labels:

skin care stud on Skin Integrity and Wound Care:
skin care stud image




Michelle


I recently got both tragus' pierced. They were both a little swollen which is normal, but now one has been covered by skin. The skin around the earring is starting to surround it, and i can barely see the stud. I can't remove it, it seems stuck. It is extremely painful and there is small bump. It has been scabbing and pussing a little bit. Yellowish but it does not smell. What do i do? Should I remove the earring and push it through? Will it close over the earring? Help!


Answer
You should see your piercer to have the jewelry changed out for a longer bar, or a ring. In the meantime, you can continue your saline soaks and cleanings with your antibacterial soap. When cleaning, try rotating the piercing or pushing it so it loses it's grip on the skin. Do this EXTREMELY carefully, you don't want to tear the piercing.

But, definitely see your piercer.

What is the permanence of a nose piercing?




livitup11


I am thinking of getting my nose pierced. However, considering the possibility that I may have a professional career sooner or later, I want to be able to have the ability to remove the ring (or stud, or whatever) if I decide I don't want it anymore.

What I am wondering is, will there be a hole leftover? If so, will that hole be noticable?



Answer
My ear piercings do not in any way behave like my nostril piercing: my earlobes are entirely skin without cartilage, and have been pierced since I was an infant. I have gone years without wearing earrings, and they are in absolutely no danger of closing.

I've had a nose piercing for 6 years, and it's still in danger of closing up if I leave the jewelry out for longer than 3 minutes. Nostril piercings close up very quickly, because the cartilage in that area of your face has a very fast regeneration rate. The skin on the inside of your nose does, as well, and so the fastest places to close will always be the inside of your nose, as well as the cartilage. the skin on the outside may close up at the general speed your skin tends to heal at.

You can remove the stud after the initial piercing has healed entirely (about 3-6 months with proper cleaning and care. no soreness, no redness, no stiffness, period.), and in many cases, it will look like a large pore when it is done closing up (I once accidentally let mine close up a great deal at one point before getting the jewelry back in. The hole was almost entirely gone). Some people scar more easily than others, but if it's been in for a while, and closes, I see no reason as to why it would scar and not simply close into the "large pore" unless the individual was prone to scarring. Do you scar easily? then you might have to consider that. If not, then don't worry too much.
Note: if you remove the piercing before its done healing--especially if you haven't cleaned it well during the entire healing process-- then it *will* very likely scar.

There are ways to disguise your piercing for when you are at work, and I have done this ever since I've had mine. There is a simple method that I use to make a "retainer" that is virtually invisible.

Getting a piercing is costly, time consuming, and generally only recommended if you plan on keeping it for the long haul. It doesn't make too much sense to spend the money and time only to potentially remove it. If you think you will want to remove it for good without using retainers, then I would suggest not getting one. If you do decide to get one, then I would recommend getting a titanium nostril screw, as it is compatible with most people's bodies, does not discolor, and doesn't oxidize (oxidation causes potential problems with healing, including scarring). However, titanium pieces are more expensive as well.

Hope this helped.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Post a Comment