feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

"Lars and the Real Girl", anyone seen it?

Labels:

skin care 27 year old female on Knit Jones: Bathroom Reno Day #1...in pictures
skin care 27 year old female image







I thought this would be the most absurd movie, but I loved it. I laughed, I cried,,,,, I found myself wishing that I lived in such a caring community as Lars. Any other opinions about the movie? Loved it/hated it?


Answer
Thumbs up.

I agree with you. A very strange premise, and it does occasionally veer off the path, but it works often enough to make its point. Ryan Gosling is *great*. Ultimately, the fact that I'm still not certain if the town was supposed to be expressing "Christian charity" or simply "playing along" is a good thing. Anyway, very definitely worth an evening, particularly if you are one of those who complains about the lack of "positive, uplifting" stories. Even the hardest cynic will find something to smile at.

The tomatometer 80% is perhaps slightly high, but only slightly. It might be right on the nose too.

Here's a review that I agree with.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Movies/Reviews/L/Lars_And_The_Real_Girl/2007/11/02/4625224-sun.html

==

'Lars' is full of real heart
By JANE STEVENSON - Sun Media



It would be easy to dismiss the new indie comedy-drama, Lars And The Real Girl, as nothing more than quirky provocation.

The seemingly outrageous film is about a lonely, smalltown social misfit (London, Ont.'s own Ryan Gosling) whose new girlfriend turns out to be a silicone sex doll he bought off the Internet.

The movie's real conceit is that Lars' family -- his brother Gus (Paul Schneider), his pregnant sister-in-law Karin (Emily Mortimer), and the entire town (including shrink Patricia Clarkson) go along for the absurd ride and accept Lars' delusional galpal -- who he's named Bianca -- as one of their own.

In the wheelchair that Lars buys for her, Bianca is taken to parties and Sunday church, has her hair cut, and even runs for the school board and volunteers at the hospital.

In real life, the 27-year-old Lars, who lives in his brother's garage and is afraid to be touched, would likely be dismissed as the town loon.

But in director Craig Gillespie's second feature film, the clever, ultimately moving script -- penned by Six Feet Under's Nancy Oliver -- overall delicate, sweet tone, and uniformly fine performances lift the movie above what could have been a creepy premise.


Ultimately, it's about unconditional love and kindness.

It helps that there is no sexual component to the Lars-Bianca relationship, with the church-going Lars insisting that the equally religious Bianca, a half-Brazilian-half-Danish orphan raised by nuns to be a missionary -- yes, she has an incredible back story -- stay with his brother and sister-in-law in their spare bedroom.

It is Karin who actually sneaks a peek at Bianca's "anatomically correct" private parts one night and snickers at the fact with her girlfriends.

Still, sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry, given Lars is definitely suffering from mental illness.

As Karin and Gus clumsily attempt to wash Bianca in the tub one night, she says: "It's hilarious," to which Gus responds, "Is it?"

Gosling, an Oscar-nominee who knows how to play everything from misguided monster (The Believer) to love-lorn soldier (The Notebook) to well-intentioned junkie (Half-Nelson), is the perfect guy to inhabit the sweater-and-tie-wearing skin of the emotionally wounded Lars.

A blinking, shy sweetheart of a man-boy, his pain and heartbreak is palatable onscreen, whether he's insisting his sister-in-law cover up with a handknit blanket made by his late mother or awkwardly trying to bowl with a female co-worker Margo (Kelli Garner), who clearly has a crush on him.

Even his interaction with Bianca is thoroughly human. There's one vulnerable scene in particular where they are alone in the woods and he sings L O V E in a high-pitched voice from atop a tree house that has to been seen to be thoroughly appreciated.

Also eminently watchable are Schneider as Gus, who blames Lars' problems on himself for leaving his younger brother alone with his grief-stricken father, Mortimer as the warm and welcoming Karin, Clarkson as the understanding and patient psychologist and Canadian actress Nancy Wright as the kind and elderly Mrs. Gruner.

Various Northern Ontario towns in winter also substitute nicely for the stark American Midwest, and the film gets an added bit of edgy coolness from its soundtrack, which includes the Tom Tom Club and Talking Heads, and thrift-store costumes.

(This film is rated PG)
More Movie Reviews

I can't get anywhere with my Doctor and I'm really frustrated, please help! (sorry its long)?




Gracie


For about 3 years now I have been having increased health issues and I'm not getting anywhere with any doctor really, I have switched PCP's 2 times already. So this is the story:

I am a 27 year old female and I am always tired, cold, I have no appetite, and I am ALWAYS thirsty. I drink lots of water and have cut out soda and coffee (not easy when all you want to do is sleep) . My memory I'm pretty sure is shot, my husband is always telling me about how I've forgotten something or reminding me things. I even show up places at the wrong time because I forget what time I'm suppose to show up. I have to write everything down or I WILL forget it. I can't wear my contacts anymore because my eyes are too dry and its painful to wear them. When I was younger I always had heavy periods and they would last up to 2 months at a time, they finally made me get an IUD to try and prevent me from getting them.

Over the past 3 years I have basically gained myself in weight, and I started out thin at about 160 pounds and now I am just under 300, when I try to workout it doesn't take long until I get to that anaerobic point where my muscles feel that they have been pushed to their limit. My doctor thinks I am depressed and has put me on antidepressants for 3 years now, I am currently on 4 different kinds (yes all at once) and I still feel like crap, I have lost my life. I can't go hiking with my dogs, back pack camping with my husband is out of the question. I can no longer play softball. I'm sick of this and I just want my life back before I hit 30. I want kids too, but with how I only want to sleep I don't see how I could take care of kids.

My husband is always trying to get me to eat meals with him, but I am hardly ever hungry and my doctor just doesn't see this as a problem because I'm so heavy now. I'm also losing my eyebrows, my finger nails are constantly breaking and chipping, and my skin is so dry and painful. I have never had acne as bad as I do right now. I have it all over my body. I love my husband but I have no desire to be intimate with him anymore.

We are expecting cold weather here soon and I'm dreading it because its 60 degrees F here today and I'm freezing, I have my winter clothes on already. I used to ski and do cold weather stuff all the time and now I can't even imagine being outside when it is below 50 because I just shake. I have been checked for diabetes and I have no signs of that, or any other issues based off labs. My Uric acid was high and my thyroid levels have changed and gone up since last year, but it is still normal. I have no idea what to say to my doctor anymore to get them to listen, if you know anything it could be, or any words of advice, please let me know! Thanks!
I was just checked for diabetes last week and get checked regularly for both diabetes and thyroid due to family history. Diabetes labs have always been normal. My thyroid lab is the only one that keeps changing and the number keeps heading towards the Hypo side, which concerns me because my husband and I have discussed children, but obviously thyroid disease may prevent that and being exhausted all the time would make that very difficult.
Thank you July, I should have mentioned before (but I forgot to put it in there) I have seen an endocrinologist and I got nowhere with her either. Another thing is that my fingers are swelling so much so that I actually had a rather difficult and painful time getting my wedding band off and I can't get it back on. I honestly feel stuck and I don't know what to do...Thank you all!



Answer
"my thyroid levels have changed and gone up since last year, but it is still normal." Dont count on it!!!!

READ CAREFULLY:
You need testing for thyroid ANTIBODIES as well as TSH. TSH ânormâ should be .3 â 3 (w/ most feeling best at < 2) but, for diagnosis, would not matter if ANTIBODIES are present. Indicative of Hashimotoâs Autoimmune Thyroiditis (cycles between hyper & hypo at start)â¦main cause of HypOthyroid & is worse (...OR Graves Disease - HypERthyroid).

WARNING: Doctors seem not to want to find/treat thyroid disease. You may have to go to more than one doctor before you get the right tests, interpretation, and treatment. Best wishes.

YES, YOU MAY NEED TO GET ANOTHER DOCTOR!!!! Not at all uncommon when it comes to thyroid (altho it is epidemic now).

Ck these:
http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
http://www.thyrophoenix.com/index.html
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/newsinfo/l/blguidelines.htm


God bless




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Post a Comment